Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Surviving the Ups and Downs

"My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?"
Psalm 6:3
David know defeat long before he knew victory. He knew sorrow before he knew joy. He knew well what we would call the "ups and downs" of life when he penned this prayer:
"How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and sleep in death; my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,' and my foes will rejoice when I fall" (Psalm 13:1-4)
This was written long before David wrote the following words of praise.
Psalm 63:4-9
What made the difference in David's life? He learned to navigate the downs and climb the ups of life. And so can you. You can survive the ups and downs when you put the following principles to work in your character:
Offer sacrifices of praise. (Hebrews 13:15)
Learn to be still. (Psalm 37:7)
Walk in His ways. (Isaiah 26:8)
Don't give up hope. (Lamentations 3:25)
Trust in God. (Isaiah 8:17)
Speak truth to yourself. (Lamentations 3:24)
Enter into worship. (1 Chronicles 16:28-29)
Don't wait for the Lord's Day. Worship Him today!

Question for thought:
Which of the seven principles is the easiest for you? Why?
Which is the most difficult? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You Sitka