They had hurt him severely, Because of the injury they had done to him, it caused some to look upon him and shake their heads.
But he had not caused the enmity. Instead, he had treated them kindly, but his love was recompensed with hate and his goodness was rewarded with evil.
This is not an uncommon reaction enemies for no cause.
Here are the despicable reasons for it:
- Having what another likes may drive him to fight you.
- Holding to truth may alienate those who don't want it.
- Knowing something bad about a person makes him despise you.
- Being harmed by another tends to make him hate you.
- The feeling that you are a threat to one's job, honor or success may prompt him to detest you.
- An inferior person's trying to feel bigger or cleaner can cause him to disparage you.
- Seeking an outlet for frustration may move the frustrated to pick on you.
- The feeling that one is dependent on you may cause him to loathe you.
DAVID SPOKE OF ENEMIES HE HAD NOT CAUSED.